Perfect Peace

I am writing this for myself today, but you are welcome to read along and be encouraged.

I was thinking about the phrase “You are what you eat”.  I also saw a quote on Facebook that said you should name your new puppy (if you have one) after the last thing you ate.  I realized I don’t want to resemble a blueberry muffin, nor do I want to call any dog of mine, that. Yes, I need to eat less blueberry muffins…!  


On that sweet note, it was my mother’s birthday last week and so we had a lot of tempting sweet treats in the house.  Since then, we made the decision that we had to be more mindful to eat less sugar and sweet treats.  


The quote should probably be changed to read “You are a product of what you eat”.  But what about our spirits?  They are equally a product of what we “snack on” with our eyes and ears.  If we are not selective in what we listen to or watch on media platforms, then that can affect our spirits and fill us with fear and anxiety.


Wounds of the spirit and of the soul are very real.  I have firsthand experience of how devastating some of these wounds and situations can be.  The same goes for generational curses that can affect us. They can cause us to worry, indulge in negative thinking and even lead us into despair. But, once we have successfully dealt with these wounds and curses to where they no longer affect us, we have to make sure and protect our spirits.   


The Lord says:


John 14:1 (AMP): 14 “Do not let your heart be troubled (afraid, cowardly). Believe [confidently] in God and trust in Him, [have faith, hold on to it, rely on it, keep going and] believe also in Me. 


This verse starts with the words “Do not let”.  It seems to show that we can allow our hearts to be troubled - to be afraid.  If we can allow it, then we also have the ability to protect our hearts against worry and being troubled by not allowing it.  How do you not allow it?  By not dwelling on a negative situation or thought.  By replacing it with a positive, life giving though, preferably a promise from God in the Word.


Is 26:3-4 (AMP): 3 “You will keep in perfect and constant peace the one whose mind is steadfast [that is, committed and focused on You—in both inclination and character], Because he trusts and takes refuge in You [with hope and confident expectation]. 4 “Trust [confidently] in the Lord forever [He is your fortress, your shield, your banner], For the Lord God is an everlasting Rock [the Rock of Ages].  


There are many scriptures where the Lord deals with worry, troubled minds, etc.  These scriptures don’t look like they are mere suggestions, but are direct instructions to me, from the Lord.


The good thing about this is that He would not have told me to do something that I am not able to do.  If He said to not let your heart be troubled and to keep your mind stayed on Him, then I guess it is something that is absolutely possible.  It is something I can do.  It might just take some focus, dedication and practice to train myself not to give my eyes and ears free reign.  If I can get the hang of this, and do what He tells me, then He promises that He has gone before me and has already overcome the world and deprived it of its power to harm me.  He also promises to keep me in perfect peace.    


“It is impossible to keep your mind stayed on the Lord”, I hear you say.  Not true.  You are already keeping your mind stayed on something day and night and if it is not the Word, then you might be feeding yourself with things that can increase fear and despair.  You only have yourself to rely on to make good decisions about your media “snacking habits”.  


I wrote a blog a few years back about hope and despair. They live on the same street and are close neighbours.  They are literally a single thought apart.  You get into despair if you constantly focus on something that seems impossible.  But, changing your focus by looking at the Lord and how much He loves us, that He sees us in our individual situations will immediately give hope and bring light into the situation.  That is how quick you can move from despair into hope.

We have been created with the ability to choose what we think and meditate on.  It can literally take a split second to change your focus in order to meditate on something good, something uplifting that will minister life to your spirit.  Think on Jesus, think on hope - keep your mind stayed on Him.  It will change your countenance and your life.  


To conclude my little pep talk to myself:


Rom 8:6 (KJV): For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.


I choose to live in perfect peace today.  How about you?




* Photo credit - I found that lovely picture in my gallery.

It certainly wasn't one I took.

Could have been one my friend Ronel sent.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rivers of Living Water

Set Your Mind..

Homeschooling Gracie