Homeschooling Gracie

I had Sammy before Gracie came.  Sammy was well trained and had degrees in obedience that she earned from Mr Green in puppy obedience school.  She was a great dog.  Her Schnauzer mom and dad would have been so proud as I can honestly say that throughout her life, she was all the dog she could possibly be.

Then I got Gracie.  Her pure bloodline was questionable and turned out to be a fabricated story from a scheming lady who wanted to inflate her own retirement fund.  In spite of this, Gracie was a super intelligent puppy with all the potential to become a really great dog.  


My dad was still here when Gracie came, and he helped me a lot. But when he passed, I didn’t have anyone who could help.  I looked online and found a German lady called Barbra who was an animal behaviourist and a dog trainer.  She started coming twice a week to homeschool Gracie who quickly learned obedience and how to walk with a leash.  


One of the things she cautioned me about was that if Gracie did something wrong, I should never call her to come to me so I could discipline or punish her as this would cause great confusion.  If she comes when called, then she is obedient.  If I then punish her for something she did earlier, she will not be willing or eager to come when called in the future.  It won't correct wrong behavior and won’t encourage the desired behavior either but will only cause increased confusion.

I have been dealing with some confusion myself.  I have been hearing conflicting things about God using sickness and other hardships to discipline His children.  This didn’t sit well with me as it didn’t line up with the goodness of God I have come to know.  My own earthly dad was a great man and I could not see him wishing bad things on us so we could be disciplined by them.  I kept wondering about this, trying to figure it out but didn't make headway so I contacted a friend who is a Bible Teacher, for confirmation.  Good thing I did.       


Heb 12:4-5 KJV - 5 And you have forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons: “My son, do not take lightly the discipline of the Lord, and do not lose heart when He rebukes you. 6 For the Lord disciplines the one He loves, and He chastises every son He receives.”


This was the reply I got to my question:


“The word "chastise" means to instruct, teach, and nurture.  That word also appears in 2 Tim. 3:16...." All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness".  You might be surprised which of those words is the word "chastise".  It isn't the words reproof or correction as you might think, but the word "instruction."  We are instructed or chastised by His Word, not by sickness.  Sickness doesn't perfect us any more than sin perfects us.  Jesus took both to the cross.”


His answer did not come as a surprise.  God gave us His Word to instruct and teach us so we will make course corrections.  Reading His Word will also help us to know that He is a loving Father who sent Jesus to destroy the works of the devil (Acts 10:38).  One of the works of the devil is sickness.  God would not send Jesus to destroy something He might want to use against me sometime in the future.


Heb 12:10-11 KJV - 10 Our fathers disciplined us for a short time as they thought best, but God disciplines us for our good, so that we may share in His holiness. 11 No discipline seems enjoyable at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it yields a harvest of righteousness and peace to those who have been trained by it.


If it will take Gracie one bad experience getting disciplined in that way, to be reluctant to come to me in future, then why would I want to go back to someone who is not helping but rather makes my situation and life worse.  After the response I got from my friend, I am no longer confused.  I now take my cue from John 10:10 - if it steals, kills or destroys, then it is not from God but from the devil.  

You might have heard people quote this scripture from the book of Job as justification why they think God punishes us for our good and that we should respond just like Job did:


Job 13:15 KJV - 15 Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him…


Just because it is words in the Bible, doesn’t mean it is God’s truth.  It has to be seen in context of who said it and why and it has to line up with God’s overall character.  It is important to remember that Job didn’t have a covenant at that point with Almighty God.  God only made the covenant with Abram and his descendants sometime later, so Job and his children were not included and didn’t have God’s protection against their enemies. 


Job had no knowledge that the devil existed.  He thought everything bad that happened to him must have been God doing it.


Job 6:4 KJV - 4 For the arrows of the Almighty are within me, the poison whereof drinketh up my spirit: the terrors of God do set themselves in array against me.


Then later, Job by his own admission said that he was ignorant and didn’t know God.  


Job 42 from verse 3 AMPC - 3 Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not. 4 Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. 5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. 6 Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.


Also, Job didn’t have someone to intercede for him.  We see him cry out in chapter 33 - if only there was a messenger or angel, an interpreter, one who could stand between God and man.  Then he continues, so that God would be gracious to him and send a ransom.  Who is this ransom?  Job didn’t have someone who could be a ransom for him like we have today. We have the man, Christ Jesus.  He became our ransom - our mediator.  Job was crying out for this as he didn't have someone who could intercede on his behalf.  We no longer need to cry out as Jesus came.  How amazingly blessed are we that He came to redeem us to the Father so we don’t have to be in the same situation as Job.    

 

Job 33 from verse 23 in AMPC - 23 [God’s voice may be heard] if there is for the hearer a messenger or an angel, an interpreter, one among a thousand, to show to man what is right for him [how to be upright and in right standing with God], 24 Then [God] is gracious to him and says, Deliver him from going down into the pit [of destruction]; I have found a ransom (a price of redemption, an atonement)!


I am seeing that my own ignorance was stealing the sweetness of my relationship with God.  It painted God as a hard taskmaster, someone who is looking for reasons to punish me.  That is not true, God is good - He wants to bless me.  It is hard to be confident in someone if you don’t trust that they are good.  


I realize more and more that it is so important to have my own personal relationship with God - to find out what He is really like.  Also to read the Bible and not just take other’s word for things but to search out the truth for myself.  This might become “life and death important” for all of us in the days that are ahead.  


Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.


We have to read the Word with an open mind and heart to see when, where and how the Lord is disciplining and instructing us where we are not living according to His Word - remembering that it is not just about discipline.  I get to also feed on His faithfulness (Ps 37:3) and trust in His goodness (Col 1:4).  I have to meditate on His promises that are alive and always yes and amen (2 Cor 1:20).  That is who He is.  


Rom 2:4 -  4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? 


Eph 3:20-21 - 20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, 21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.


I have started doing a word study on the topic of God’s goodness in the Bible and some of the words I have found describing God’s actions towards us, include - loving-kindness, wonderful works to the children of men, abundant goodness, praiseworthy deeds, the multitude of His loving-kindnesses.  We need some serious mind renewal that God wants to be good to us - that He wants to bless us.


God wants to be a good Father; He wants to love us and have fellowship with us.  In fact, our calling is just that:


1 John 1 from verse 3 AMPC - 3 What we have seen and [ourselves] heard, we are also telling you, so that you too may realize and enjoy fellowship as partners and partakers with us. And [this] fellowship that we have [which is a distinguishing mark of Christians] is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ (the Messiah).  4 And we are now writing these things to you so that our joy [in seeing you included] may be full [and your joy may be complete].


I wanted to end with scriptures on the goodness of God and how much He loves us, but I was reminded of this verse, that just says it all:  


Zeph 3:17 AMPC - The Lord your God is in the midst of you, a Mighty One, a Savior [Who saves]! He will rejoice over you with joy; He will rest [in silent satisfaction] and in His love He will be silent and make no mention [of past sins, or even recall them]; He will exult over you with singing.


God is in your midst, not out there somewhere. He is glad about you. He rests in His love for you, and He exults - feels and expresses joy and triumph - as He sings over you.  My mom loves me, and we have breakfast together every morning, but she never sings over me - just saying…  How blessed are we all to be loved by God!


Gracie turned 10 years old at the beginning of September and is taking after her predecessor Sammy.  She is a good dog, obedient and loving and the best companion anyone can ask for.  Go Gracie!





Just a note to those who have subscribed to receive email notifications for this blog.  I see that the service provider adds adverts to the notification email.  I didn't know they would be doing this.  Please know that I don’t select or get the opportunity to approve the adverts they place.  I am not endorsing any products, services or causes. 


You can also read and subscribe to my other blog:  Let God Be True (forgodistrue.blogspot.com)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rivers of Living Water

Set Your Mind..